Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Say Cheese!

Hey friends! Hope everyone is inspired to write today. I know Easter is right around the corner and we're all super excited to get out of school and go home (I know I am.) So today I thought of a fun exercise to do.

Since Easter is all about spending time with family and friends I want that to inspire you. Find a picture from any family event (Christmas, a birthday etc...) and write a poem about the picture you have. You can write it from your point of view (if you're in the picture or not), from a different family member's point of view or even an outsider looking in.

For example I wrote the poem Paper Hats. It's about my Grandmother's 81st birthday and I wrote it in the point of view form my Aunt Shari. She's not in the picture that I have posted and she's like the black sheep of the family, so it's suppose to be from her point of view looking in.

Paper Hats

I brought the eye of the storm with me as I entered.
Black leather jacket clinging to my waste
cell phone glued to my hand.

Passing the giggling nieces
I smile politely and pushed through them.
The blonde one nudges me back, her wavy eyes following me
A Mona Lisa glare.
Her fists tighten as she turns to whisper in her sisters’ ear.

I sit at the dining room table with the rest of the adults stage frightened.
I managed a smile, as the table grows still.
Watery eyes fixed on mine, the uncles already on their fifth beer.

Laughing, laughing
It’s her 81st birthday.
More of this laughing.
Stupid paper hats.

I am the hand grasping the mug in the corner.
Not invited into their circle, always on the outskirts,
bordering on the family line.

I stir my tea
cupping the white porcelain mug with shaky hands.
The picture of the family screened on it

I’m not in it
...Of course not

So yes, maybe it's a little like a revenge poem (considering I do have some personal problems with my aunt) but hey you might get a great poem out of it! It can be funny, emotional or even inspirational. Have fun with it and see what you come up with! Remember it can be from your point of view, another family member's or even a total stranger looking in! Happy writing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment