Friday, February 20, 2009

5 Senses Part 2

Hey all! I hope you had fun with your color poems! I want to stay on the 5 senses topic but try a different exercise.

To begin I want everyone to time yourself again for one minute and write down some words that come to your head (just like the exercise before.)

Today's exercise is going to be fun (I promise!) I want you to try and write a poem as if you were blind or deaf- or both. To do this, you might spend time with your eyes closed, or your ears covered, perceiving what's around you by smell and touch, reaching out and fumbling for the nearest object, then reacquainting yourself with its texture, its shape, its mystery.

Try walking around your room with your eyes closed, things that you though felt familiar may feel totally different when you can not see it. Sit outside and listen to the sounds around you, and imagine what you're hearing. While some of your senses are blocked it enables your other senses to grow stronger.

I asked my friends to be my guinea pigs in this exercise and video their experiences. This is my friend Ashley walking around our dorm doing the exercise.

My fellow blogger Aly, was so inspired by her turn in the exercise she wrote the poem entitled Blinded Thoughts.

Blinded Thoughts

uncertainty fuels my steps
as i slide across tiled floor
my hands graze cold brass
why not turn it?
something hanging - purses?
"ill have to borrow one of those sometime."
i think as i turn and make my way to the bed
soft down comforter
makes me want to lay down and sleep
then there's something strange... what is that?
i get my answer as some toy laughs at me.

i shuffle through the bathroom
is that a hula skirt hanging in Jen's shower?
i wish i was in Hawaii..

into the unknown: Ashley's room
lots of activities on P-Mo's desk.
that's not hair gel.

Ashley has a maraca.. wait no, pills?
papers on her wall
make me wonder what the signs say

i think i like it better in the light.

Best advice...do this with a friend so you don't get hurt (he he.) Have fun "see" what you discover! You never know what you'll come up with!

2 comments:

  1. Hah! I wish I could have seen you ladies shuffling around in blindfolds, I would definetly get hurt trying that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes it was def. funny and fun! Ashley didn't break her nose just bruised it though!!

    ReplyDelete